Tuesday, March 28, 2006

50th post..

hmm.. just realised that this is my 50th post.. nothing much, just realised it, so must put down lor.. aniwaes, after that super long n confusing post, thought I'd take a break before continuing, but just had this overwhelming desire to blog today.. no idea why, just know I must..

alrite.. anyone read Sunday Times Life section? the article where they were saying whether teachers should blog or not.. that got me thinking.. the question that I was thinking about was definitely not whether teachers should blog or not because I don't think that should be an issue at all.. the question I was really thinking about can't exactly be replicated in full here, so I shall paraphrase it as "What's the problem with that?".. yep..

is there a problem with teachers blogging? what professional conduct and all.. hmm.. yes, definitely, we have to maintain a sense of decorum and be professional and all, but blogging is mostly an outlet through which we blow off steam.. would they rather we scream and shout at all the kids that make us angry? or keep it all inside until we blow up?

whatever it is, I feel very strongly that this is not an issue at all.. of coz, that doesn't mean that we have the right to abuse this freedom, after all, we are, much more than others, in a position to affect the minds of our youth, and as teachers, should be a role model for our kids.. but then again, there should be nothing wrong with harmless complaining is there? and also updating our peers about what's happening to us..

in fact, it can even be an avenue with which we reach out to our students.. there are certain things that we do not display in class, like disappointment or anger, which we can express on our blogs.. and if students chance upon them, they might realise it.. or not.. whatever.. but my point is, teaching is afterall, a profession, a job, perhaps one which encompasses much more responsibility than others, but we don't sell our freedom when we take up that responsibility..

true, it is unprofessional for a teacher to complain about a fellow colleague, but is it less unprofessional when anyone complains about his/her colleague? why is the issue magnified when it comes to teachers? not just about blogging, but also teachers who drink, teachers who smoke.. blah blah.. why turn the spotlight to teachers always? why the double standards? is it becoz people still think it is a cushy half day job of a past long gone and forgotten?

well, I don't know what I'm ranting about here really.. I juz felt really disturbed when I saw that article.. I'm teaching becoz I want to make a difference in my students' lives, but if that entails a drastic changing of my own lifestyle (as if waking up at 530am for someone who used to sleep at 6am is not a drastic enough change), I might start to wonder if it's all worth it.. Why invite all that public scrutiny upon myself? well, if you have what it takes, teach.. how true.. how very true..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home